Pancakes were a staple in both mine and my husband's childhood homes, so when we went vegan, it was very important that we figure out how to make pancakes. This need was further emphasized when we upgraded from a skillet to full griddle, and there was now a new, fun appliance to use on top of our need for delicious pancakes. We've tried making them all kinds of ways, and in terms of a tasty and plant-based as possible option, this finally did the trick for us.
Grocery Store Tips
The butter-flavored coconut oil in this recipe replaces much of what I've missed about traditional pancakes. I think any recipe with butter or margarine can be difficult to create a vegan version of simply due to how difficult it can be to substitute those ingredients. Living in Knoxville, we're able to pick this little gem up at Whole Foods. Here's the brand I use. Click this link to purchase it online.
Fluffy, Vegan Pancakes
|Difficulty Rating: 2
Plant-Based Rating: 5
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup butter-flavored coconut oil (melted)
- Organic maple syrup
- Blueberries (optional)
- Confectioner's sugar (optional)
|| Prep Time 5 min.
|| Cook Time 10 min.
|| Yield 4 servings
- Whisk water and flax in small mixing bowl. Set aside to use later.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into medium-sized mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine almond milk, coconut oil, and contents from Step 1.
- Mix together the dry and liquid ingredients. The batter will be slightly lumpy. If you like thinner pancakes, you can gradually add extra almond milk at this stage until the batter is your desired consistency.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet or griddle to medium-high heat, and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour slightly less than 1/4 cup per pancake onto the cooking surface. When small bubbles begin to appear on top of the pancake, use a spatula to flip it. Cook for another 2-3 minutes or until other side is a light brown. Repeat with remaining batter. Spray more non-stick spray if needed.
- Serve with organic maple syrup, and top with blueberries and confectioner's sugar if desired.